Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Hospital patient had to ring 999

A Romanian hospital patient had to call the emergency services because nobody heard him crying for help.

Stefan Ososchi, 80, who suffers from an incurable disease, said he was lucky to have his mobile phone with him.

He had been admitted to the County Hospital in Botosani and put on a drip but the nurses forgot to come back to take out the needle from his vein.

Mr Ososchi said: "I waited for the nurse come and take the needle out. It had been almost an hour and nobody came.

"I had terrible pains in my arm and I tried to take it off myself but didn't succeed. I began to cry for help. It was in vain so I called 112 and asked for their help."

The head of the County Hospital in Botosani said the two nurses who were in charge of the patient will be disciplined for negligence.

Ambulance service spokesman Dorina Andronache said: "I thought it was a stupid joke when I heard that somebody from a hospital was asking for help. But it turned out the patient was indeed in trouble."

No comments: